If you spend a lot of time playing regularly and have set yourself the goal of becoming particularly good at a game, you will of course need adequate equipment. This includes a good computer with a modern graphics card and a good gaming mouse. Real gamers are not satisfied with using a conventional computer mouse – they prefer to play with a special gaming mouse.
In order to find the best gaming mouse 2020, we have studied numerous factors such as sensor, weight, shape, balance, performance, buttons, additional features. After testing 20+ different types of mice, our list of the top gaming mice was created.
How we choose the best gaming mouse
You can find out what makes such a mouse special and what advantages are associated with its use in our detailed gaming mouse guide. We have compiled everything you need to find the perfect mouse for gaming in 2020.
Gaming mice are computer mice that have been specially designed for games of all kinds. Many people play enthusiastically on the PC and conventional computer mice usually cannot do what a special gaming mouse was designed for. Such a mouse should make the game as efficient as possible and support the player in a safe and successful gaming experience.
There are countless manufacturers and models on the market and it can be very difficult to choose one of them. However, a good choice is especially important for those who want to be among the best players in their game. Because, as so often in life, there are sometimes significant differences in quality and performance.
At the same time, a gaming mouse that is cheap does not have to be inferior. Much more than the price, the choice depends on how well the mouse fits your requirements and how well it can deliver what the manufacturer promises in practice. In order for you to be able to find the best individual gaming mouse, it is first of all important to know how such a mouse works and what is important for gaming mice.
Consider these criteria when buying a gaming mouse in 2020
Before you decide on any gaming mouse, you should first compare different models to find the one that best suits your needs. But how do you compare computer mice, and what are the important aspects of choosing the best mouse for gamers? Here are some of the key criteria for choosing a gaming mouse:
- LED or laser: There are a number of factors in favor of the laser mouse, as it is usually far more accurate than a mouse that uses a light-emitting diode. Also, a laser mouse can be used on more surfaces. But this decision is also one of budget. A laser gaming mouse is usually more expensive than a comparable optical LED mouse.
- Ergonomics: Passionate gamers spend many hours a day with their favorite hobby. But even those who only indulge their passion once in a while use their gaming mouse over and over again. So it’s very practical to have a mouse where the hand and fingers are placed naturally and the user doesn’t strain himself. If you leave your fingers in an unnatural position while playing for a long time, you shouldn’t be surprised if one or two aches and pains appear over time. Ergonomics is not only important because of the posture, it also plays a role when it comes to a mouse for large hands, for example.
- Right- or left-handed: A left-handed gaming mouse is not easy to spot, but it is very practical to indispensable when playing. Either look specifically for left-handed mice or choose a symmetrical mouse that works well with both hands.
- Sensitivity: For many games, it’s important that the mouse accurately passes commands to the computer. In addition, there should be no hiccups, because this has already spoiled the fun for many players. So it’s best to look for a mouse that has a high sensitivity. This can be seen in the dpi values. Note that too high sensitivity can sometimes be a disadvantage, for example if you want to aim precisely and aim at something while playing games. Ideal in such cases are mice in which the sampling rate can be adjusted in steps.
- Sampling rate: This value, which is specified in Hz, expresses how often the driver of a computer “scans” the mouse for its movements. The more often this happens, the faster the movements are directed to the PC and implemented. So while the dpi rate says something about the accuracy, the polling rate describes the speed of the conversion of the signals. As with the sensitivity, it is advantageous to be able to set several polling rates in order to adapt to the respective playing conditions.
- Buttons: With a conventional mouse, it is sufficient if at least two buttons are available, which every computer mouse is equipped with anyway. For a gaming mouse, there should be several more. Ideally, there should not only be fixed keys, but also keys that can be programmed. Such a mouse offers maximum flexibility and can be turned into the perfect gaming accessory.
- Weights: There are many gamers who prefer the mouse to be particularly heavy. This is why suppliers of good gaming mice equip their models for weights that can be removed, all or some of them flexibly. This way, every gamer can decide for himself how heavy the mouse should be. In addition, such a mouse can be weighted only at the front or only at the back, for example, and thus be adapted even better to your own gaming preferences.
Of course, the appearance should also play a role if you want to buy a gaming mouse. Such mice are usually equipped with a futuristic design and offer well and gladly chic lighting effects, which have nothing to do with the game quality, but look nice. However, this is purely a matter of taste and says nothing about how successful you will be in your favourite game or how well the mouse performs.